Roy, Laura, Elisabeth, Rebekah, & Samuel

Roy, Laura, Elisabeth, Rebekah, & Samuel

Friday, November 14, 2008

Another Passing

I have a friend who died this week under sad circumstances, and it has brought a lot of my other grief back to the surface again. Last October my Grandma Crane died. Then in December my friend Keith passed away. Then my precious little Samuel. A few weeks ago my Aunt Karen left us, and now my friend Kim (who was also Keith's good friend "back in the day"). All in one year's time. All deaths were different, as were the individuals and their lives and circumstances. And yet they all touched my life in a positive way, and I will miss them. I am happy to know that they are all in a good place with people who love them and with lots to do.

There is a quote from a book called Picking Up the Pieces: Healing Ourselves After Personal Loss that has been stuck in my head for the past few months and sort of represents a big part of what I am learning from Samuel's death. “Each of us is living on borrowed time; each of us is trembling tenaciously on the edge of eternity. By choosing to ignore the fact that we’re terminal, we fail to live in the Now. But a realization of life’s brevity brings an appreciation of its beauty. This brevity and beauty add a new dimension to the present moment. By cutting life into small slices and living one slice at a time, we discover that indeed the best time is Now.”

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I feel bad you have to feel the lose of one more person. I saw that obituary in the paper this morning. I am sure you touched his life in a possitive way also. You are always such a good friend to everyone.

Jilleen said...

I had no idea. I'm sorry for yet another loss in your life. I love you!

Lorin and Janice said...

My heart broke when mom told me about Kim. He was my Sunday school teacher once and was such a nice person. Thank you for your thoughts. It is so important to live in the now and to enjoy every moment. I continue to pray for you to feel peace in all these difficult times. Love you!

Tony & Marci Harward said...

Thank You! I needed to read that today! I love you so much!
Marci